Why are we afraid of employee comments?

, Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I am currently working on an internal blogging package for my company. Besides the standard blog pieces, it contains some special communications features such as digest and on-demand emailing.

I have been fighting for allowing employee's to comment on items posted through the site. However, there is a great fear from our HR group. To help, I have made comments disabled by default and can be turned on by message, however right now, I am also working on a moderation option.

So why is HR, or executives for that matter, so afraid of employee's having the ability to comment on company news? What ideas do you have to help sell having open comments always turned enabled on our site?

I would love to hear from everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Michael Hafner said...

    ... I'm working on the same problem. Some are afraid, some wnat to be open, and we even have some managers, who want to allow anonymous comments - where I am rather sceptic.

    I want to go straight ahead with comments for identified users only, but I'm preparing policies and "warnings" for commenters as well as for authors, to make sure that they now what they can expect and what they have to be prepared for.

    I'd be glad if you could add something to the list...

    http://www.themashazine.com/blog/kbex/corporate-management-bloggers

  2. Patrick Sikes said...

    Thanks for your comment Michael. We are still working on this problem, but we may have move on it a bit.

    My HR counterpart (who is for it) and his leader met with the EVP of HR this week about blogging. Based on the meeting, it seems like she was OK with it...at least in some pilot areas that are restricted to certain users or business units.

    I agree on your comment about anonymous users though, that just scares me. All our comment systems are automatically tagged with the users name and employee number. Plus employees are held accountable for anything they write on the intranet.

  3. Stef Verf said...

    Sounds familiar.

    Are there perhaps groups where specific knowledge leads to succes?

    In my experience it helps if opinion leaders (or corporate Leaders) experience the advantage of finding knowlegde of other people in the organisation, so they can contact them and start working together on a business case.

Post a Comment

patrick's shared items

GlossyBlue Blogger by Black Quanta. Theme & Icons by N.Design Studio
Entries RSS Comments RSS